Who We Are:
Based in a small village in rural Northern Malawi, YEWO is a purpose-driven, community-led brand that creates timeless jewelry and functional home goods.
We prioritize equitable training, a safe workspace, monthly living wages, social benefits, and access to interest free loans for our entire team.
In addition, for every YEWO product sold, we partner with a women's reforestation co-op in Northern Malawi to plant a tree.
We believe there is so much power in the consumer market to create positive impact to make the world a better, more equitable place through the items we bring into our everyday lives.
What We're About:
Ethical Craft Meets Elevated Design
We believe in a quality over quantity mindset.
Through an exploration of design, form, material, and artisan techniques, we are committed to bringing you the most beautiful, timeless, functional, and sustainable pieces, while ensuring people & planet are prioritized throughout the entire process.
Our personal spaces deserve designs with soul, story, and purpose.
By supporting YEWO, you're joining us in a global connection and commitment to greater social, economic, and environmental sustainability through thoughtfully considering the items you bring into your homes and lives.
Pronounced 'Yay-Woh', YEWO Means 'Thank You' in Northern Malawi.
Our name reflects gratitude towards the people who create our products, the planet we all share, and you –for being a part of our community who believes in making the world a better place. Join us in creating further impact.
- Located in Southern Africa, Malawi remains one of the poorest countries in the world, with over 70 percent of the population living below the poverty line earning less than $1.90 per day
- Poverty is mainly concentrated in rural areas, where many families are unable to meet their basic needs simply due to a lack of socio-economic opportunities
- Deforestation is one of the biggest environmental challenges in Malawi. As forests disappear, mass erosion contributes to flooding and draught, creating an even greater disparity
- We work to address inequalities and improve the livelihoods of marginalized communities in Northern Malawi through a holistic model using socio-economic and environmental opportunities.
- By providing skillset training, dignified employment, social benefits, and reforestation efforts, we work to holistically end intergenerational poverty in rural Malawi to create an equitable, more sustainable future for all
Our vision is to intentionally design and sustainably craft handmade jewelry and home goods utilizing a holistic approach that improves rural Malawi communities through greater economic, environmental, and social opportunities—creating a ripple effect that encourages other businesses, industries, and individuals to embrace environmentally conscious and socially responsible practices—encouraging a more equitable future for all.
At YEWO, we believe in creating a conscious community that recognizes human impact and the interconnectedness between us all. We value building relationships and fostering a sense of community not just within our team but also with our partners, customers, and the wider community.
Everything we do is with the deepest respect for our team, the environment, and one another, upholding a socially and environmentally responsible ethos. Our process is designed to minimize our environmental impact, promote sustainable practices, and prioritize the well-being of our team members.
We have a deep understanding and connection to our supply-chain, materials, and the experience of everyone involved in the process from start to finish. We collaborate closely with our team and partners, fostering open communication, embracing accountability, and consistently sharing information to ensure responsible practices, materials, and production.
Each item is crafted with the highest level of care and integrity, merging style and functionality in everything we create. We use only high-quality, eco-friendly materials and prioritize careful craftsmanship to ensure that our products are not only beautiful but made to last.
We design pieces that effortlessly complement your wardrobe or home. From your favorite necklace to your daily coffee mug, our creations are ones you'll reach for again and again. Our designs are minimal and timeless—offering versatility that never goes out of style.